Monday, June 18, 2012

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)


#100 on Thrills

We all know the basic story of Robin Hood.  This movie is one of the best versions of it ever made.  Action, adventure, romance. What more could a person ask for?

I love that Marian wasn't just a fainting, helpless, damsel in distress; she actually participated in the cunning moves and the saving, and the defending of England, but still in a way considered "proper" for her time. I suppose in most portrays she is pretty awesome.  It would be pretty badass to see her pick up a sword though.  Speaking of swords, Errol Flynn? is amazing.   Athletic and charming, I can see why he is so great.

I forgot Claude Rains was in this, but I shouldn’t have because Claude Rains is in EVERYTHING.  Seriously, pay attention to his tag on this blog. It will only go up as I write about more films. He is cast in everything because he is good.  Better than good. He is one of the greatest character actors ever.

Random: The horse Marian rides is Trigger, of Roy Rogers fame (before he met Roy, obviously.)  When Trigger died, they had his hide stretched over a plaster model of his likeness, to be placed in the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Museum.  If that weren’t strange enough, after that museum was closed in 2009, the items from it (including Trigger) were put up for auction at Christie’s in New York in 2010.  I worked next to Christie’s at the time.   I saw Trigger. It was weird.  I’m still trying to figure out why they did this to this horse.   Stranger still, some TV station purchased Trigger.   On one level, I get it. Kind of like the Natural History Museum.  This does not make this seem any less bizarre to me.

Favorite Quote:
Lady Marian Fitzswalter: Why, you speak treason!
Robin Hood: Fluently.

1 comment: