Saturday, April 7, 2012

Stand and Deliver (1988)

#86 on Cheers

Basic premise:  A teacher sees the potential in a group of trouble making students, and wants to teach them way advanced math.   This is based on a true story.

Sometimes it takes other people acknowledging your potential for you to flourish. The students were pushed by a teacher, and he was able to get them to show their full potential. They were so use to people giving up on them, and not expecting things from them, that they had stopped trying.  When this teacher did push them, he got amazing results. 

I did find myself wondering how they were all doing in their other classes, because they spent so much time in math.  I also really liked that the teacher fought for them, after they were accused of cheating on the AP Calculus exam.  Those AP exams are no joke.  (Side Note: I’m so glad I don’t have to worry about those or Regents anymore.)  Sometimes all you need is for somebody to have your back in order to succeed.  A little support goes a long way.  

Also, I’ve always been terrible at math.  I cannot imagine going through all of this to learn AP Calc.  I probably would have ended up quitting, or being the one person who did not pass the AP test.  Stupid math. To quote my friend Dr. Time, "I always say that the part of my brain that should have been used for math was  used for Star Wars."  Replace Star Wars with Beatles and you probably have my brain.

Favorite Quote:
Jaime Escalante: You only see the turn, you don't see the road ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment