Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Thin Man (1934)

#32 on Laughs

Right off the bat readers should know, that I don’t always check to see what list(s) a movie is on before I watch it. I just know that it is in my Netflix queue because it is on The List.   Usually I do not read a synopsis before viewing either.  Some films I have a basic knowledge of before hand, or who is starring in it.  I try to go into every movie as freshly as I can. 

That being said, I expected The Thin Man to be a really dark, film noir type of murder mystery.   Even the image on the dvd gave me that impression. So imagine my surprise when it turned out to be funny!  I actually stopped the movie about 15 minutes in to see what list it was on.   I was pleasantly surprised by how witty it was.  As Nick and Nora Charles, William Powell and Myrna Loy had some great moments of banter.  Even if Nick did keep Nora from being involved in a lot of the detective work, they still had great chemistry on screen. I’m wondering if the characters were ever sober in the film, because they always seemed to be having a martini (or five).

Either way it was really awesome, and I didn’t quite see the twist of who the killer was coming. 
               
(Random Trivia: The main characters in the film/book “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn were named after Nick and Norah Charles.  Whilst I am a fan of the book, and the movie is something I will put in for background noise a lot, they are not nearly as fun as their namesakes.)
               
The Thin Man was the 200th film I’ve seen from The List, and I have to say I’m glad it was such a good film to mark that milestone.   I’m open to suggestions on what the LAST film I watch from The List should be …

Favorite Quote:  
Reporter: Well, can't you tell us anything about the case?
Nick Charles: Yes, it's putting me way behind in my drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment